Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sydney


Byron and I at the infamous Q Bar Photobooth.

Returning to this city after so much time away, I find the place quite changed. When you live in place, you fall into the rhythm of change so easily that you never notice anything new and interesting - in fact many of my friends and acquaintances don't seem as surprised as I do. So many new bars, clubs and restaurants have surfaced and entire destinations are left transformed. I feel proud that the city has been able to take on such development in times like these. Victoria Street seemed twice as busy, a bustle of activity with so many dining options available. My favourite Thai restaurant has moved, had a complete makeover and taken up residence on the strip and looks all the better for it. It's almost incredible the impact it has had on the surrounding environment and commerce.

All of this change makes one reflect and ask, why did I ever leave? Change. There is a reason. A city changed but the individual didn't. I was encouraged to throw myself into unfamiliar terrain and I'm happy for it.

Seeing dear friends is one experience I cherish. It hasn't been all that long, no - but seeing their lives here fills me with joy. Just over a year ago I met Byron (above) and saw this character in him that entertained me, not to mention a warm hearted lad that included everyone in his sphere as a kindred spirit. A year ago we went to parties where all of my closest friends had the opportunity to see what I saw in him - that lovable lad!

Trent and Jessica, probably my closest friends were so kind to put me up for a few days in their divine little apartment just behind Kings Cross. If anybody ever resents romance and love, all they need do is spend a little time with these two and all hope will be restored. Spending time, drinking wine and reminiscing with Jessica soon turned to laughter; she is almost a sister to me.

It being the first time I've come here since finally making Melbourne my hometown (albeit, subconsciously). I'm at peace with my decision to move on from here ... and it isn't all that far away. Until next time kids.

No comments: